A fascinating and provocative look at the reasons behind female deception. It reveals how society doles out mixed messages to women, fostering the lies they tell.
- A woman who shoplifts, and has it ‘down to a science’
- A woman who tells her husband she is working late to be with her lover
- A woman who lies about her children’s achievements to her friends
- A woman who pretends her husband is doing well when they are going broke
- A woman who has covered up her husband’s emotional abuse for years
- A woman whose secret is her misery in being a stay-at-home mom in suburbia
- A woman who lies about loving her partner, deciding it’s better to stay than be alone
And many other secrets and deceptions
Honest and even outrageous, Susan Shapiro Barash is fast becoming the author who explores issues that are important to women—issues that they are loath to talk about…until now.
“A fascinating, nonjudgmental look at the unique cultural pressures that reward women for keeping secrets and lying.”
— Leslie Morgan Steiner, editor of the bestselling Mommy Wars
“Susan Shapiro Barash’s Little White Lies, Deep Dark Secrets will provoke many animated conversations. She’s taken a gutsy look at a controversial subject, one that most women would rather not discuss. By shedding light on the reasons behind our secrets and lies, she will give women more choices about how they approach the sensitive areas of their lives.”
— Liz Perle, author of Money: A Memoir
“Finally! The lies women tell have been decoded. Little White Lies, Deep Dark Secrets has taken me on an eye-opening journey into the lies my own mother told me as a child, making me realize that the most innocent of untruths can have a lifelong impact.”
— Crystal McCrary Anthony, coauthor of The Gotham Diaries